The Life of an HMO Landlord
House Share Hero, by Steve Julien, follows the anything but ordinary life of an HMO landlord. It reveals how, over the last decade or so, Steve has built up a substantial portfolio of house shares, left the rat race and now looks after over eighty tenants — yet only works a few hours a week. An HMO is a House of Multiple Occupation, where multiple, unrelated people rent rooms in a large house, usually sharing communal amenities like the lounge, kitchen and bathroom — a student house share is a prime example.
House Share Hero is written in an engaging (and often humorous) storybook style and will teach you how to:
- Avoid the common pitfalls facing HMO landlords.
- Find the best tenants easily and efficiently.
- Achieve the highest occupancy possible rates, thus maximising profit.
- Avoid expensive management fees.
- Automate your business to run itself over 90% of the time.
The last point alone, makes this book worthwhile. Most new investors I meet want Property Investment to help ‘quit the day job’ so they can pursue their dreams. HMOs can be a time consuming beast, so it’s particularly important to systemise and automate as much as you can.
Brilliant book, and a very quick, easy read.